Monday 30 December 2013

to the new year and whatever it may bring

2013 was a bumpy one. The first year of the separation brought much anxiety, worry, stress, and fear. The second year, this past one, brought self-discovery and all the chaos that goes with it. Good decisions and bad. And lots of learning. I read a list recently of 20 things to let go of. One of them was regret - an obvious choice. But the explanation caught me off guard: at one point in your life, that "whatever" was exactly what you wanted. While the "whatevers" were not always my healthiest or best choices, they were my desires. And I have learned a great deal from them.

I feel like I've come out of a long, drawn-out fever. An adolescence I never really had. A great big ME phase. Of course the girls always come first, but when they weren't around, I was busy thinking of my next adventure, the next thing that was going to make me happy. The pendulum swung hard.

My plan for 2014 is simple: continue to have fun AND be a grown up about it. And love life.

To that end, I'm instituting a Cool Happenings 2014 jar. Whenever something wonderful - big or little - happens in our lives, we will write it down and put it in the jar. At the end of the year, we can read them out and remember. Be grateful. Giggle. I wonder if any "whatevers" will make it in? Wouldn't be the worst thing to remember those, to be grateful, to giggle.

Here's to the new year and to goodbyes to this past one. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment